Fort la Prée

Fort la Prée was built by Louis XIII to defend the Ile-de-Ré. The fort was constructed between 1625 and 1627 to control the local population, which was largely protestant. Its construction was justified when the English landed on the island in 1627 shortly after the fort's completion. The fort was periodically improved throughout the 17th and 18th centuries.

General view of the fort.

Fort la Prée has been restored and open to the public since 2005. Open daily 10:00-12:00 and 15:00-18:00 from Easter to Halloween. Website at fort-la-pree.com. Thanks to Joël Sepulcre for this information.

Close up from the seaward side. Close up from the landward side.
Back to the "Relief Maps" page