Namur

Since ancient times, there has been a settlement by the rocky heights at the confleunce of the Sambre and the Meuse, where the town of Namur now stands. In the middle ages the Counts of Namur built a castle on the heights and fortified the town. In the reign of Charles V the castle was transformed into a citadel and the town was fortified with bastions.

Namur seen from the north.

During the 17th century the fortifications of Namur were improved by the Dutch engineer Coehoorn, who put a covered way in front of the town's defences and built a fort protecting the bridge over the Meuse. In 1692 the French took Namur and Vauban made further improvements to the fortifications. The defences protecting the town of Namur have been demolished, but the impressive citadel remains intact today.
Click here for the full article on Namur
Click here for the 1692 siege
Click here for the 1695 siege

Namur seen from the east. The citadel viewed from the east.
Detail of the town's defences. The citadel seen from the west.
Detail of the eastern extremity of the fortifications. The bridgehead fort.
Back to the "Relief Maps" page