Menin

Until the 16th century, the town of Menin (called Menen in Flemish) had no fortifications. In 1578, the Spanish built some bastions and a ditch around the town. Menin fell to the French in 1667 and was confirmed French by the Treaty of Nijmegen in 1678. Vauban started work on the defences later that year.

Menin seen from the west.

He designed a strong northern front of 4 arrow-headed bastions together with their demi-lunes and a hornwork. These strong fortifications were demolished in the 18th century, only to be rebuilt by the Dutch in the early 19th century. Of these defences, several sections remain today.

The town seen from the south-west. Menin from the north-east.
Menin from the east. The town seen from the south-west.
Hornwork in the north-west. Detail of the town.
Advanced works in to the north. The southern entrance.
Detail of the northern defences. Detail of the eastern entrance.
Back to the "Relief Maps" page