Fort de la Conchée

Situated on a rock in the sea some 3.5 km north of Saint-Malo, Fort de la Conchée was built to defend the seaward side of that town. The fort was essentially a large battery, with two storeys of guns, one enclosed and one on the roof of the fort.

La Conchée

Construction of the fort, which was designed by Vauban, began in 1693. The fort's presence was justified in 1695, when it drove away an English fleet that was approaching Saint-Malo. The relief map shown here was made from a plan that was later modified, but the essential form of the fort remained the same. The fort was severely damaged during the Second World War, but is currently being restored.

La Conchée La Conchée
La Conchée La Conchée
Back to the "Relief Maps" page