Fort Chavagnac

Fort Chavagnac was built from 1854 to 1869 about 2 km north-west of Cherbourg. Along with several other forts and a long harbour wall, Fort Chavagnac defended France's northern naval base at Cherbourg. It consisted of two tiers of guns facing out to sea, the lower level casemated and the upper level on the roof of the fort. There were barrack buildings in the rear of the fort and a small harbour where boats could land to supply the garrison. In 1891, the fort was heavily concreted to protect it against more powerful modern artillery. Today the fort is still occupied by the military.

Fort Chavagnac Fort Chavagnac
Fort Chavagnac Fort Chavagnac
Back to the "Relief Maps" page