Charleroi

The fortress of Charleroi seen from the west.

In 1666, the Spanish decided to build a fortress in the province of Namur at what had hitherto been the small village of Charnoy. The new town was called Charle-Roy, in honour of King Charles II. The fortifications took the form of a hexagonal bastioned'trace.

In 1667, Charleroi was taken by the French and Vauban'completed the fortifications. In 1673 he returned, creating the fortified ville-basse, a new suburb to the south of the river. Vauban strengthened the defences once more from 1693 to 1697 during the War of the League of Augsburg. The relief map depicts the fortifications as they were at this time. Today, nothing remains of the fortifications at Charleroi, but the unsual street layout of the upper town can still be seen.

See also: Full article on Charleroi, 1693 Siege of Charleroi

Charleroi seen from the east. Detail of the upper fortress.
The northern defences of the upper fortress. View from the north-west.
Square redoubt on the eastern side of the town. Detail of the lower town.
Northern side of the upper fortress. A hornwork in the north-east.
Back to the "Relief Maps" page