Avesnes

Avesnes was fortified in medieval times, but 6 arrow-headed bastions were built in 1538 by the Italian engineer Jacopo da Modena. In 1659 the Treaty of the Pyrenees transfered Avesnes to the French. In 1673 Vauban improved the defences, building various outworks and barracks.

Avesnes

He also designed the system of sluices that enabled the water in the ditches to be regulated. Several sections of the fortifications at Avesnes remain today.
Click here for the full article on Avesnes-sur-Helpe

Avesnes Avesnes
Avesnes Avesnes
Back to the "Relief Maps" page